Friday, September 23, 2011

Ute Droste Design Contest

The Company: Ute Droste is a single person company/coach and consultant aiming to give people a closer look at situations, problems, and conflicts in order to support their careers.  Ute Droste helps clients reflect on their professional lives and to work more effectively.

The Project: looking for a logo portraying: trust, competence, confidence, broad appeal, nothing harsh or too busy, reds, greys, lilac

My Thought Process: The CH seemed to like circular and flowing logo submissions so I wanted to create something using a circle.  At first I planned on taking the initials of the company (UD) and overlaying them in a circle.  I would then subtract the shapes (U and D) from the circle so the background (white in this case) could show through.  I ended up making the UD a dark grey and a little larger than the circle.  It was awkward to have the UD inside the circle due to their proportions.  I also like the more loose feeling with the UD partially outside the perimeter of the circle.

I placed the graphic to the left of the text because "Ute Droste", with the first letters capitalized, has the large, upper case "D" off center, so centering the graphic above looked off.


My Submissions

My original submission for this contest.

New color scheme

More abstract "UD" graphic
                                                                              

Other Designers' Submissions
Ranked Highest to Lowest (though are rated highly)

I like this one.  I think I'd like it better without the "person" shape, if the "arm" did not extend beyond the "D" at the top and the circle on top was removed.  Design by: zerin74

I really am not a fan of people in logos (despite the "a nourished life" logo, where the CH asked for people in the logo).  I'm not terribly bothered by the "person" in the logo above, but this one is too corny for my taste.  It's not cleverly worked in to the initials and seems fairly generic to me.  Design by: dexmind

I like the graphic in this logo; it's clever.  I do not like the font though.  It's really just the "s" and "e" that I am having problems with.  Otherwise, I definitely like this one more than the design from dexmind.  Design by: futurama